Monday, April 19, 2010

Daily Devotion - Monday, April 19

Some Thoughts About Listening

“Give ear to my words, O Lord;
give heed to my sighing.
Listen to the sound of my cry, O my God,
for to you I pray.”

--From Psalm 5

This week we are going to work through a prayer by Kenneth Phifer entitled, “I Need to Listen”. The verses of the Psalm introduce us to a person who desires that God hear his/her prayers. The theme of Rev. Phifer’s prayer is for God to empower him to be a better listener. It seems these two themes can be drawn together. Let’s take time this week seeking to become better listeners through a prayer to the Great Listener, our Holy God.

“How strange it is, O Lord,
that I should feel I need to ask you to hear me.
Is it not I who need to learn to listen?
Should I not ask you to jerk me to my feet,
to snatch me out of my drowsy indifference,
to nudge me into alertness?
I am constantly surrounded by sounds I do not hear,
By voices to which I am indifferent.

“This is a singing world.
There are voices of angels
and voices of those inviting me to share in their lives.
Enable me to hear them, I pray,
and in the hearing be lifted up to gratitude
for the mystery and magic of being human.”


--Ben Keckler
04.19.10

No comments: