Monday, March 3, 2008

Daily Devotions - Monday, March 3

A Reflection On Prayer

“To you, O Lord, I call;
my rock, do not refuse to hear me.
Hear the voice of my prayers as I cry to you for help,
as I lift up my hands toward your most holy sanctuary.”
--Psalm 28: 1, 2

Have you ever received one of those “forwarded” e-mails? Five years ago today I received the same e-mail from friends in 5 different states. The theme of the e-mail deserves some devotional thought today. You see, five years ago the date was 03-03-03. The e-mail encouraged all people (Christians actually) to pause in prayer at 3:03. The idea was that we should pray for our national leaders as well as military folk of this land, particularly in hot spots around the world. This was a most meaningful request, filled with hope that 3:03 on the 3rd day of the 3rd month of the 3rd year in this millennium could be a powerful moment.

As I tried to picture Christians around the world praying at 3:03, I kept thinking about faithful Islamic followers who are unashamed to pull out their prayer rug, take off their shoes and bow in prayer five times a day, not just one moment like 3:03 on 03-03-03. Some of them are friends and acquaintances of mine. Their faithfulness in prayer is powerful. What would happen if people of all religions would take time to pray each in their own way, each respecting the prayer life of the other?

Today’s meditation verse introduces us to a writer who was taking time to pray. Maybe a key to a peaceful world is greater faithfulness in prayer by every person of every religion in every part of the global village.

A prayer: In our troubled world today, we pray for leaders, defenders and for peace. Amen.

Ben Keckler
03.03.08

No comments: