Friday, February 29, 2008

Daily Devotions - Friday, February 29

Lion or Lamb?

You’ve heard the line, “March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb.” I can't wait to find out what the next month holds!

The wild animal/peaceful animal analogy is found in religious writings. Particularly in the Jewish and Christian traditions we can find reference to the realm of God as a setting where wolves and lions dwell in solidarity with cattle and lambs. The picture, of course, is a picture of a wonderful dwelling place where “everybody gets along.”

We have some real “hot spots” in this global village. This lion/lamb thing isn’t just about weather! March 2008 will arrive tomorrow. Very war-like, very much like a lion-- political argumentation is heating up and the war goes on as it has for the last 75 or so months! Will March go out peacefully, very much like a lamb? Time will tell.

Reinhold Niebuhr composed the following prayer, “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.” It seems to me that living this prayer during the new month may help me as I experience a month that may “come in like a lion and go out like a lamb.”

Ben Keckler
02.29.08

No comments: