Monday, May 19, 2008

Daily Devotions - Monday, May 19

The Luggage We Carry

“Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil; for you are with me;
Your rod and your staff—
They comfort me.”
--Psalm 23: 4

Having met a significant number of people who appear to have a platter that is full to over-flowing, the following reminder from Max Lucado seems to be in order:

Release Your Burdens

This morning, somewhere between your first step on the floor
And your last step out the door, you grabbed some luggage.
The bags you grabbed are not made of leather;
They’re made of burdens.
A suitcase of guilt.
A sack of discontent.
A duffel bag of weariness.
Set them down.


A prayer: God of this moment, empower me to set down my baggage and trust that you are taking care of things, even when the valley is dark and I fear that my baggage could get lost. By the way God, if they do get lost, help me to realize that it can be a blessing. In fact, without that stuff weighing me down, I may get out of this dark valley. Amen.

Ben Keckler
05.19.08

No comments: