Monday, January 14, 2008

Daily Devotions - Monday, January 14

A Question for the Holy?

“Whom have I in heaven but you?…
But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord my refuge.”
Psalm 73:25, 28

Taking time with the questions of the soul is some of the best work a person can do. Taking time with the questions of the soul opens up avenues for communication at levels that can empower us and guide us when the way is particularly difficult. The Psalm writer was comfortable asking questions, even if answers did not readily surface. Asking the questions of the soul — this is the good work. Rainer Maria Rilke offers this insight today:

“Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart
and try to love the questions themselves…
Don’t search for the answers, which could not be given to you now,
because you would not be able to live them.
And the point is, to live everything.
Live the questions now.
Perhaps then, someday far in the future,
you will gradually, without even noticing it
live your way into the answer."

A prayer for today:
Holy God, I give you my questions and ask you to grant me understanding in your time. Amen.

Ben Keckler
01.14.08

No comments: