Thursday, January 17, 2008

Daily Devotions - Thursday, January 17

What Song Are You Singing?

“To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation.”
--Psalm 25: 1, 4-5

Is it fair to say that we really don’t listen effectively to the music within us? We listen to the MP-3 and the IPOD play music, but how often do we listen to the internal music? The Hebrew song writer is offering this prayer of the soul, realizing that often the pace and pressures of daily routine are filled with our “stuff.” The writer goes on to affirm that God’s steadfast love is available always and that God’s grace brings harmony when it seems there are only the notes of discord.

Max Lucado has designed a deck of cards called “Comfort Cards.” These comfort cards contain various little comfort statements based on the Psalms, particularly the 23rd Psalm. Our “Ace for the day” is this card: “God wants you to hear God’s music.” On the flip side of the card is this simple meditation: “If God must silence every voice, God will. God has a rhythm that will race your heart and lyrics that will stir your tears. You want to lie down in peace? Remember, God’s music can soothe your soul.”

A prayer for today:
God of melody and harmony, write your song in my heart today. Amen.

Ben Keckler
01.17.08

No comments: