Thursday, January 3, 2008

Daily Devotions - Thursday, January 3

A Way To Face 2008

“The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”
Psalm 27: 1

One of the great running backs in professional football was Walter Payton and his autobiography Never Die Easy is a powerful story. Watching Walter play was a treat and after reading this book, readers probably wish they had a personal moment with him. It is a book about courage in the midst of chaos, it is a book about strength in times of personal weakness, it is a book about family and friends embracing and supporting one another.

It seems Walter understood today’s key verse. He didn’t like the way his life unfolded following his successful career in football. He faced difficulties and was sometimes depressed. He kept moving forward, especially with the people that meant the most to him—his family and friends. He didn’t seem to be afraid. He seemed anchored and secure. He faced life head on.

I encourage you to move forward, confident that light and strength will be yours each day. The challenges will be many; with faith and focus you too will never die easy.

A prayer for the year 2008:
God of another year, in the face of each challenge, help me to recognize you as the stronghold of my life. Amen.

Ben Keckler
01.03.08

No comments: