Thursday, March 3, 2011

Daily Devotion - Thursday, March 3

A Day with St. Francis of Assisi

“Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my thoughts.
See if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.”

--From an old hymn, Song 139

A few years ago writer David Hazard did some research on Francis of Assisi and was inspired to write a book of 40 meditations, A Day in Your Presence. From time to time in these next weeks we will reflect on some of the writings St. Francis left to inspire people. Obviously, St. Francis wrote from a Christian perspective. Some minor editing may be done from time to time for our multi-faith staff here at the hospital.

“I am awed at the glory of it, amazed at the great and holy gift that is ours—to have a Creator who cares. Deep within me the very wonder of it burns with a holy fire. When I am faced with my own sin, it warms me with consolation. When I face a world of cruelty and vices, it brightens my soul with its beauty and with flames of holy wonder. To have a God who has willingly and lovingly promised to be ours forever!” --St. Francis, from his second letter to the faithful

As we continue our journeys through this week, take time and realize the gift that is within you AND within those you encounter.

--Ben Keckler
03.03.11

No comments: