Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Daily Devotion - Wednesday, March 16

Life in the Garden

Recently I started planting this year's seeds for our flower and herb gardens. Most of them are from our flowers last year. Some of them have quite a history, connecting my wife and me with special people in our lives.

• Today the story of the Moon flower seeds. More than a decade ago I was Senior Pastor of a church in Tell City, Indiana. Our neighbors were Jeff and Carla. I was privileged to officiate at their wedding, celebrated by a lake in the Hoosier National Forest on a beautiful Tuesday morning in October. They were gifted gardeners. Often their backyard was featured as part of the Perry County garden tour. We enjoyed poolside visits adoring their flowers. Jeff introduced us to the Moon flower, a vine whose white flowers open at dusk and look like a full moon.

• I've never had success growing Moon flowers. This year, as a celebration of our friendship with Jeff and Carla, I will try again. We miss them, we miss our pool side parties, we miss worshiping with them. But we still remember them and the ways they graced our lives.

• Today is Wednesday. Take some time today and call a friend or two.

A prayer: Through the seed and soon the budding flower, remind me of friends that you’ve given me. Amen.

--Ben Keckler
03.16.11

No comments: