Friday, April 11, 2008

Daily Devotions - Friday, April 11

Becoming a Better Listener

“Give ear to my words, O Lord; give heed to my sighing.
Listen to the sound of my cry O my God, for to you I pray. ”
--from Psalm 5

We conclude our meditation time on becoming better listeners with the concluding section of Ken Phifer's prayer to the Great Listener, God our Creator.

Steady me, O God, as a listener.
And when I speak, make me careful lest I use words as weapons
and language as a severing sword.
Enable me to sort out what I hear and not be thrown off balance
when the tongue of another is careless.
When prejudice and passion weight the words I hear with divisiveness and conflict,
give me sense enough to reject them.
Grant me judgment and common sense to cut through words
that evade and distort lest I be misled.
Steady me, O Lord, as I learn to listen. Amen.


Divine presence and help is near. Have a good day and weekend listening to family, friends, everyone!

Ben Keckler
04.11.08

No comments: